Saturday, March 03, 2007

The Pursuit of...

Dear Diary,

I don't feel that odd addressing you now. Its pretty ok with me. Anyways, I got overwhelmed day before, when I got a call from Cisco for an Intern in the Knowledge Management Group. The call was from Austin. The twist in the story, is that I was not present at home to receive the call. My roomie Syed, attended the call and told him that yours truly was not there, and took down the details. The guy's name is Craig Tobias. It seems he had asked me to call him back the next day. So yesterday, I kept trying his number, and everytime I reached his voice mail. I also had an interview yesterday for an on-campus job in The Pub - a place on campus, where they don't serve alcohol, ironically. So after the interview, I came home and left Mr.Tobias a voice message. Then I slept, and woke up at about 4:45 P.M. to leave him another voice message. Anyways, I'm writing all this with the expectation that Mr.tobias by some chance while googling his name gets to see this cribbing post, feels sad for the poor boy and calls me again to schedule an interview.

I'm actually an asshole, if you see technically. What I mean is, I, a very normal student, got this call by a great stroke of luck, and it was my frickin mistake not to be present there, and here I am cribbing. Hence proved.

I hope the society becomes crazy and considers things like what I'm going to describe as great credentials. For instance, what if, I put on my resume under - Calls Received for Intern - a section for what it states, Knowledge Managment Group, Cisco Systems Inc. So the employer can keep his palm on his mouth, and give me the job, blindly, without any interview. Unfortunately the world is not crazy. Sometimes normalcy drives you crazy.

The thing is I haven't told about this to my mom, for she will really feel bad about this. I haven't told this to my close friends either. However, some people here at UTD know about all this. They feel I was foolish in not having a cell phone. Sadly, they are right. But, what I'm thinking now is, what if I buy a cell phone and never get another intern call; by the magic of Murphy. Then I'd begin to hate the cell phone. Oh forget it, its getting too complicated.

I believe in one thing. If something has to happen, it will. I have seen this happen for me - the day I got a job in HCL Comnet. Perhaps I should have worked there. I could have avoided this disappointment.

Anyways, I managed to find something about my prospective manager. He is the manager, first of all. I read a case study and guide by him. Damn me. I'm still trying to impress him, relying on a probability.

I'd like to believe in a probability that he returns the call after hearing my voicemail, and schedules me an interview. You must have an attempt. You can fail. No problem. But you shouldn't fail without giving your best. I hope it happens.

Regards,

Me.

7 Comments:

At Thursday, May 08, 2008, Blogger Craig said...

You could have sent me an email

 
At Thursday, May 08, 2008, Blogger Arun said...

Apparently I did send it Mr. Tobias, and you did heed to my request, only that it was not for the same position. I didn't make it. Bad luck I guess.

But I'll keep applying, and will hope I'd make it someday, who knows, maybe in your same team! Thanks a lot!

 
At Sunday, May 11, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Send me another email. You emails most likey got picked-up by Cisco's junk-mail filter. I will keep an eye out for it. If I'm not mistaken you were attending UT Arlington.

 
At Tuesday, May 13, 2008, Blogger Arun said...

Yes, Mr.Tobias will do so. And I'm from UT Dallas.

 
At Wednesday, June 11, 2008, Blogger Craig said...

I sent you and email.

 
At Friday, March 26, 2010, Blogger Annie Manuja said...

Hey Arun

I randomly dropped on your blog n then again RANDOMLY (more imp random) opened this article to be surprised by the heights of coincidences that even I was interviewed for the same position by Craig Tobias. Topping it all, even with a cellphone, I missed his call as I was in a class and it took me couple of days to track him back and hear from him again....finally even I did not get this position :P

Pretty interesting to know your side.

 
At Saturday, March 27, 2010, Blogger Arun said...

Hey Annie, nice to know that you visited this blog...hope you liked it...I think not getting through all that, was for the good. But ya, a great coincidence indeed! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home